I have always loved the sunflower. It is a genuine symbol of life, strength, beauty, and fortitude and is the symbol for veganism. It is a poignant reminder every summer when it blooms fully that every living entity wants to flourish and live.
Living vegan is about respecting our animal friends, but the spirit of veganism extends to living abundantly. The vegan spirit is not only about the food we eat or our health. It is about the love of life, the love of earth, the love of all sentient beings. It is about learning to be conscious of what it means to respect all life forms and cause the least amount of harm possible. It is about embracing all of creation and nourishing it. It is about working to make this world more compassionate and kind.
As each day passes, we are closer and closer to destroying our planet by not living vegan. Our waters are contaminated, our air is polluted, our rich rain forests full of healing plants are being eliminated, our planet is being destroyed by climate change, sentient beings are being mindlessly and needlessly captured, caged, tortured and killed for our palates, and our bodies are being diseased by the animal products we consume. It is time for a drastic change towards love and compassion worldwide.
GO VEGAN FOR THE PLANET
Consuming a vegan diet will help save, preserve, and edify our planet.
Here is why:
- Animal farming is the number one cause of climate change in the world; the 1,300,000,000 cattle in the world emit 60,000,000 tons of methane per year, which is a cause of global warming.
- It takes only 25 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of grain. It takes 2500 gallons to produce 1 pound of meat.
- Seventy percent of the grain grown in the United States is used for producing meat. If that grain were being fed directly to people, no one on the planet would go hungry.
- Twenty vegans can live off the same amount of land required by one meat consumer.
- Nitrates and pesticides used on crops grown to feed livestock flow into our rivers and destroy the health of micro environments and our planet’s ecosystems.
- Rain forests are cleared at an alarming rate every year to make room to raise cattle for meat consumption. At this rate, American forests cleared to raise cattle will be extinct in 50 years.
- A third of the land on our planet is used to raise farm animals. One large factory farm can create as much waste as the entire city of Los Angeles!
Go Vegan for the Animals
Consuming a vegan diet will save billions of animals from needless suffering and slaughter per year.
Here is why:
- About 450 billion animals are unnecessarily factory-farmed on our planet every year for meat consumption. These animals are exposed to cruel, unsanitary and horrific conditions.
- Animals are kidnapped against their will; they are forced into a cycle of breeding and giving birth their entire short lives; they are caged, raped, tortured, dehorned, debeaked, branded, knifed and scalded alive, drugged with antibiotics, given hormones to speed growth, genetically engineered, beaten, and overcrowded. Their testicles are cut off without anesthesia, and they are made to spend their limited lives in cages not even large enough for them to turn around in! This is atrocious!
- Dairy cows are considered the most horribly treated animals. They are kept constantly pregnant. Once they give birth, their calves are taken from them and made into veal. The milk that is meant for that calf is consumed by people. Once the dairy cow is thoroughly spent and exhausted from giving birth so many times, she is then rendered useless and ground up for fast-food hamburger patties.
- Chickens are now specifically bred for either eating or laying eggs. Male chicks are immediately killed, either by being burned alive or thrown into a large bag with other chicks and left to suffocate to death.
- Pigs are kept in extremely crowded conditions. The poor ventilation and filth in factory farms cause such rampant disease in pigs that 70 percent of them have pneumonia by the time they’re sent to the slaughterhouse. In order to keep pigs alive in conditions that would otherwise kill them and to promote unnaturally fast growth, the industry keeps pigs on a steady diet of antibiotics. This overuse of antibiotics has led to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains. The ham, bacon, and sausage that you’re eating may make the drugs that your doctor prescribes the next time you get sick completely ineffective.
- The oceans are over-fished and marine life is being dramatically and dangerously destroyed and depleted. Many species are on the verge of extinction for being “accidentally” killed in modern fishing practices. In Indonesia, for every one pound of shrimp, 26 pounds of other sea animals are killed and tossed back into the ocean.
Go Vegan for Yourself
Consuming a vegan diet will dramatically improve your health.
Here is why:
- There is no nutrient, vitamin or mineral that your body requires that cannot be obtained by consuming a plant-based diet.
- Vegan diets contain higher levels of dietary fiber, magnesium and potassium, vitamins C and E and folate.
- A vegan diet contains ZERO cholesterol, which is a leading cause of heart disease.
- Vegans live an average of eight years longer than meat eaters.
- Consuming meat contaminated with antibiotics and growth hormones has been proven to cause tumor growth in humans and wreak havoc on your body.
- Meat from slaughterhouses is contaminated with fecal matter and often is rotten and not deemed safe for consumption. This “meat” is rinsed in bleach to “clean it up” before it gets packed for sale. Do you really want to eat this?
- The average American eats twice as much protein necessary for a healthy diet and much of that comes from meat and dairy. Adequate protein levels are found in fruit and vegetables, legumes and beans, seeds and nuts. A small amount of protein is needed for optimal health. An excess amount of protein has been proven to cause degenerative diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
- A healthy weight loss is a typical result of an organic, plant-based, vegan diet. By eating vegan, you will eliminate most of the unhealthy foods that cause weight issues. Thirty three percent of American animal-based diet consumers are obese while only two percent of vegans are.
- By following a healthy vegan diet, your energy level is much higher than that of an animal-based diet.
- Bone health depends on a balance of small amounts of protein, adequate calcium intake, high potassium, and low sodium. Eating a healthy vegan diet will ensure all four of these points and prevent osteoporosis.
Interested in going vegan? Feel free to contact me with any questions you have.
Don’t forget to check out my vegan recipes!
Why Vegan? https://vegoutwithvilms.com/why-veganTweet